Friday 31 July 2009

Scrap Heap Challenge (Review)

Last night, after a few hours of heavy drinking and DJing b2b with DJ Cable and DJ Guise, we went back to Guise's house for some PS3 and to chill out. Somehow we ended up watching Scrap Heap Challenge and I was struck by just how stupid a show it is. I filmed DJ Cable giving a review of the show for what I intended to be our first video blog post but he has since forbidden me to post the footage, so you'll have to settle for my slightly disappointed, jaded and hungover text review.



I honestly don't know how this show ever got commissioned. I'd never seen it before, and I expect lots of you are in that position, so I'll give you a quick run down of the concept of the show:

Two teams of beardy/balding virgins (contestants) compete to manufacture an entirely useless piece of machinery from parts found in a scrap yard. These utterly pointless creations are then tested against each other to see who has managed to make the most retarded contraption. The competition is presided over by a washed up sci-fi actor (Kryten from Red Dwarf...the years have not been kind to you) and the kind of female television presenter who you take one look at and instantly assume they've starred in some low budget adult films before reaching this pinnacle in their career.

You'd think that there'd presumably be some kind of awesome prize to motivate people to go on this poor excuse for a TV show... but no. Winners get to saw off a hunk of their winning contraption at the end of the day as a memento of the time they wasted a whole weekend of their lives. Where do I sign up?

Maybe I'm being overly harsh. Maybe there is some merit in this show. Certainly, if I woke up one morning to find myself in a strange post-apocalyptic wasteland and felt the uncontrollable urge to build a fan powered potato peeler, I'd be straight on the phone to these chaps. Other than that though, I can't see any real value in this show and I don't know why its on TV.

No comments: